It is located right at the crossroads of the Pedras rivers and Barbanza , a few meters from the Roman bridge, in the natural pools of the Pedras river. The harsh conditions of the place where it was located caused in 1474 the transfer of this convent to the vicinity of the Church of Santa María del Xobre, a transfer promoted by the House of Xunqueiras to give rise to the birth of the monastery of San Antonio. Today the esplanade platforms of this ancient hermitage can be seen in the Miserela.
In its main chapel was the tomb of Esteban de Xunqueiras and his wife Teresa (nowadays they are in the Pazo de Oca). In this convent there was a school of philosophy and theology. Many evangelizing missionaries of the new world were formed in this convent of Xobre. Manuel Fernández Varela attended this monastery as a child at school. The convent was run by observant Franciscan friars and belonged to the Franciscan province of Santiago. It was suppressed in 1835 by the governing board of La Coruña after the publication of the Royal Decree of July 25, which suppressed monasteries and convents of religious with less than twelve professed individuals. It was the time of exclaustration.
During this period, until the 18th century, it experienced its moment of splendor until it disappeared as an institution with the disentailment laws of the 19th century. In the 20th century it had an honorary tenant for 4 years: Ramón María del Valle-Inclán. From 1917 to 1921 he lived in La Merced where he developed most of his literary production.