Xunqueiras is a medieval fortress with its keep that represents the stately power of the Marquisate of Xunqueiras. The Tower-Fortress was ordered to be built by D. Fernán Martín de Xunqueiras in the 13th century. Its nobles were great victors in the defence of their lordly and royal territory, as was D. Esteban de Xunqueiras, faithful friend of the archbishop D. Alonso II de Fonseca and hero in the conquest of Granada. Alonso II de Fonseca and hero in the conquest of Granada, which earned him the favour of the Catholic Monarchs, among which was the lordship of Caramiñal. Xunqueiras survived the attack of the Irmandiñas troops who had just destroyed the Castillo del Deán in the neighbouring Pobra.
The noble head of this marquisate in the 16th century was Gómez Pérez de las Mariñas, who fought in the decisive wars of Hapsburg Spain, and whose successes had repercussions on the town of Caramiñal, which received the title of “Villa” as early as 1554. The Pazo is home to different artistic elements: its medieval profile dominated by the keep, its interior cloister, its Renaissance balcony, in short, a historical-artistic ensemble worth visiting. The keep has a square ground plan made of perfectly cut granite with many stonework marks. Next to it stands the Renaissance palace built by the aforementioned Gómez Pérez de las Mariñas.
The origins of this house date back to the 16th century, specifically to 1576 through the figure of Domingo de Romay, who was related to numerous Galician lineages. The structure of the building was remodelled centuries later at the height of the Baroque period. Due to the lineages mentioned, the Pazo belonged to different families, the last one being the Díaz de Rábago family.
Founded in the 18th century, it was built in 1717 by the Valderrama family to whom it has always belonged. It represents the typical structure of the pazos of Galicia.
It is located on the Paseo del Areal, where we can still see vestiges of an enterprising industrial class. This is the neighbourhood where Catalan families settled and promoted an authentic industrial revolution through the sardine salting warehouses or salt presses at the end of the 18th century. This movement represents the preliminary development of what would become the canning of fish and seafood, which would develop throughout the 20th century in Pobra. These Catalan families settled in Pobra became an upper bourgeois class due to the benefits of the industry developed in the naval, fishing and port areas. Proof of his economic power are the houses that are still preserved on the sandy beach: Casa de Barreras, Marless, etc. Their affection for Pobra was demonstrated in the numerous foundations they promoted to encourage study, the donations made to the Church and the artistic heritage. The “pincheiros” were protagonists of this movement as in most cases they worked for the Catalans and their industries. The Catalans also promoted the Pincheiro movement and helped to enhance it.
Built between 1540-1550, it has been considered a national historic-artistic monument since 1976. It is a residential building of exceptional Renaissance character, specifically in the Plateresque style, reminiscent of the architecture of Gil de Hontañón. Its off-centred windows are highly decorated with plant motifs, pediments, pilasters or medallions with human busts and heraldic motifs.
The façade of this 18th-century building on Puente Street has been preserved. This building served as a prison in the town of Caramiñal during the jurisdiction of the lords of Xunqueiras, who had the privilege of appointing magistrates, bailiffs and a prison mayor in their town. All that remains of the building are the side walls and the façade with a coat of arms reminiscent of the marquisate’s lordship.
Building belonging to Manuel Fernández Varela, built at the beginning of the 19th century, probably by the provincial architect Faustino Domínguez Domínguez. It was used as a school for children. He probably developed this construction on the land of the house of his parents: Andrés Fernández from Palmeira and Agustina Varela, from Caramiñal. An enlightened man and above all a patron of all kinds of cultural and educational projects in La Pobra and above all in Spain at that time.